Wednesday, July 15, 2015

It's beginning to look a lot like a school room

We're starting homeschool in 4 weeks! The last couple weeks I've been busy setting up our office for our school room and today Logan and I went to the store and bought some school supplies. I've had lots of people ask my why we're homeschooling and how we're going to do it so here's a quick run down:

I really, really, really love the elementary school my kids go to and I LOVE the teachers. I also love substitute teaching so the decision to homeschool was very hard for us. But it all comes down to one thing. I felt prompted to bring the kids home. I felt prompted to be their teacher. Dave and I talked about it and prayed about it and the answer we got was that we needed to homeschool. I'm not totally sure why, but I'm going to trust in the promptings Dave and I had and in the answer we received.




We were going to build a desk for the boys in the office, but we decided to just work with what we have. I have a few file boxes to hold Colin and Logan's folder and notebooks and the file box on the floor contains all of the lesson plans I've been working on. I love the big file box. I have everything in there that I need so it will help me to stay organized and have everything ready to make planning easier.

This book shelf has been sitting in the garage for years so I painted it white last week and moved
the brown shelf from upstairs. I love all of the books in one place and the boys have been reading more since I moved the shelves into the office. We also have a place on the white shelf for library books, so it's easy to keep them all together so they don't get lost. I bought some cute tin cans and used them for school supplies, and there is a basket on the brown book shelf where the boys can turn in work once it's finished.

We'll use the computer a lot for school. There are lots of great websites where the boys can learn anything and everything. One of my favorite homeschool sites is allinonehomeschool.com. It has lessons for every subject and every grade level already done and planned. I used it a lot for Trevor to supplement his lessons and I plan on using it for Colin and Logan as well.
 I think we're ready! I'm really excited for this year and to see how everything goes. I love the support I've gotten from all of my teacher-friends and how helpful they all have been. I am really going to miss working and being at the school and all of the good friends I've made, but I think this new adventure is going to be really good for us.

No comments: