Saturday, September 11, 2010

If you don't have it, make it!

Dave is gone all day today (and all night) for Youth Conference, so I invited myself over to my mom's for dinner. I told her I would bring dessert and I wanted to try something easy and new. I recently came across a new recipe blog that I love. Easy and simple recipes, but creative and fun. It's call See Jane in the Kitchen. I have a link to it on my favorite blogs. The other day I ran across a recipe called Fudge Cake Bars. It looked so good, but when I read the recipe I realized I had everything to make the bars except for sweetened condensed milk. Then, by some miracle, I came across a post on Everyday Food Storage that showed how to make your own sweetened condensed milk. Someone was trying to tell me to make these bars. So today I set out to make the milk and then the bars. So easy and simple and I did not even have to go to the store! Hooray for food storage and for smart girls who share their recipes.

Sweetened Condensed Milk:
1 Cup powdered Milk
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/2 Cup boiling water (put in microwave for 45 seconds to bring to boil)
Mix everything in a blend and blend until mixed well. (I had to scrape the sides of the blender a few times to get it all combined)

Fudge Cake Bars:
1 yellow cake Mix (I am sure you could use any flavor, so experiment!)
2 eggs
1/2 Cup Oil
1 recipe (or 1 can) sweetened condensed milk
1 Cup Chocolate Chips (I thought of using 1/2 peanut butter chips, but I thought about it too late. I am sure any kind of chips would work)
Combine Cake mix, eggs and oil. Press 2/3 mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. In a microwave safe bowl microwave milk and chocolate chips for 30 seconds. Stir until melted or microwave another 30 seconds and stir again (I only had to do it once) Pour over crust. Sprinkle rest of crust over chocolate. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until golden brown. (The original recipe says these freeze well.)
I could not resist and I had a small piece right from the oven. Super yummy! Next time chocolate cake mix and peanut butter chips!

1 comment:

GHFamily said...

My dear, I can tell you have been trained well--as all girls from the 23rd ward!