Monday, October 1, 2012

Now I'm a believer

I have a ton of rosemary in my front yard. People always tell me that I can cook with it, but I never believed them. I mean, the rosemary in my yard has got to be different from the stuff they use on cooking shows, right? But I would always hear from ladies how they go out in their yard and get a little and use it in their dinner. Sounded weird to me. But tonight, on a whim and because I was feeling all homemakey and domestic I went in my front yard and grabbed some rosemary. I was making homemade focaccia bread to go with my spaghetti for dinner. I wanted to flavor my bread so I got some garlic cloves and the rosemary and put it in my little food processor and chopped it all up. Once it was chopped I smelled it. It was a-maz-ing. One of the best smells ever. Colin said it smelled weird but he was wrong. I put half of the mixture into my bread dough and the other half I sauteed with a little olive oil and onions and then dumped in my can of Hunt's Spaghetti sauce and some cooked ground beef. I let the sauce simmer for about an hour while I got the bread ready and then baked it. And dinner tonight was delicious. The sauce tasted homemade and the rosemary added something. Trevor said he loved the sauce. I mean LOVED. It was so good. The focaccia was really good. It tasted like flavored pizza crust and next time I will put in more rosemary and garlic. The flavor was good but too subtle. I love cooking, I love trying new recipes and I love it the most when my kids lick their plates clean. (If you want the focaccia recipe you can find it here on PW's blog. Just make the dough and then put in the flavors you want. It would make a really good pizza dough too.)

1 comment:

Cassidy said...

I got a ton in my front yard too but never thought of cooking with it! Instead I made my Halloween wreath with it. LOL