Monday, November 19, 2012

Gluten free recipes

Lately we've been finding out that people in my family have Celiac Disease (click to find out what Celiac disease is). I know I need to get my kids tested and get myself tested, but it's a little scary and daunting to think there may be a chance that we have to go gluten free when it comes to food. My kids love bread and all things gluten. So do I. But I have been looking on blogs and websites just to see what's out there and there's a lot of good, gluten free recipes. My friend told me about a yummy gluten free chocolate peanut butter cookie and the other day I made some homemade granola that Dave has been loving as a snack for work mixed in with vanilla yogurt. Here are the recipes:
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter (I used half smooth and half crunchy)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Heat oven to 350 and and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (for easy clean up). Mix ingredients by hand with a spoon until combined. Roll dough into balls and dust with a pinch of sugar before baking (I forgot to do that). Bake for 8-10 minutes. The cookies may seem too soft, but you don't want the bottoms to burn. Let cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes before removing.

For Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies add to the above recipe 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Mix, roll and bake the same.

Cranberry Almond Granola
3 cups oats (not quick cooking)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/3 - 1/2 cup dried cranberries (this would be good with dried blueberries, or a combo of both)
cinnamon

Heat oven to 350. Mix everything except cinnamon and cranberries in a bowl. Spread onto greased baking sheet or line sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway. Remove from oven and stir. Let cool 2-3 minutes, add cranberries and stir to combine. Store in air tight container for 2-3 weeks. 

No comments: