Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Grandmas

When I was a kid I used to brag about how many grandmas I had and that I had great-grandmas too. Not just one, but three. Not too many other kids I knew had great grandmas and that made me feel special. I especially loved that as I had kids they were able to brag that they not only had great-grandmas but great-great grandmas too. A few years ago my mom had family in town over Thanksgiving weekend. We had a dinner at her house and Trevor came up to me and said, "Mom, I just counted that I have 5 grandmas here!" I told him how lucky he was to have that many grandmas in one room at one time. This past weekend my great-grandma passed away. She was 102 years old, just a few months away from turning 103. A while ago my mom got a book for her that had questions in it so she could write down her memories and history. It's been fun reading about my great-grandma and getting to know more about what she was like when she was younger. She lived a long life and saw a lot of changes, but she was a sweet lady and the kids loved her. When I told the boys she passed away they were all a little sad. Trevor cried and said, "I wish I had one last chance to see her and say good-bye." Then Colin said, "Well, we'll see her again when she is resurrected." And Logan, "She's in Heaven with her family." I'm so grateful for the things my boys know from church and things we have taught them at home. So grateful that they know when someone dies they go to Heaven and that they are met by all of their loved ones who have passed on before and that we will get the opportunity to see our family again. It makes these sad times a little easier, knowing that they haven't really left us, they are waiting and watching from the other side. 

Trevor with his great and great-great grandmas
Colin and Great-great Grandma Helen

Logan and Great-great-Grandma

No comments: