Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's more fun to mix colors



When we first got the play-doh I would always tell the boys, "Don't mix the colors." They loved playing with it, but eventually it dried out. We got more for Christmas - just the little containers so we had a ton of different colors for them. I got it out today for them to play with because they kept asking me to fix their Transformers and I could not figure them out (I think you have to be male to be able to transform them). So we got everything out and the first thing I see Trevor do is mix two colors together. My first thought was to quickly separate the colors as best I could and tell them to not mix them again, but then I thought, "What the heck?" So we mixed all of the colors and watched as the play-doh formed cool rainbows of colors. We made snakes and spaghetti, pizza and turtle cookies. They played with it for almost an hour and I must say it was a lot more fun with the colors mixed. So I guess I learned from my boys today that it's okay to break the rules and be creative and get a little messy. I guess in a house full of boys I am going to have a lot to learn. Dave is always telling me to let them be boys - the house is going to be loud and they are going to jump and run and make messes (we can always clean it up later). I need to enjoy it while it lasts because I am sure someday I will wish my boys were still at home mixing the colors.

2 comments:

The Sewell Family said...

It drives me crazy when Nathan mixes the colors so I get the bigger ones and let him only have one color at time. He will still play with them for hours. One of these times, I will have to let him mix all the colors just for something different. You're right, boys will be boys!

Jess said...

That is a great lesson you learned from your boys. I need to learn to relax and learn from my kids more.