Saturday, February 5, 2011

Secret Recipe

I don't know who reads my blog. Some friends (thanks for your last comment Erika!), my sister-in-law, maybe just my mom. But I like to write and so when I figure out something to write about I put it on my blog. I know some blogs are like journals for some people, some are scrapbooks, some dedicated to recipes and a million other things. Mine is kind of a combo of it all. And today I am sharing a new secret recipe I recently fell upon by accident. Someone probably already figured this out but for me it's new so I am going to share.
The last time I made taco salad for dinner we had a bunch of leftover taco meat. And since my husband did not want to pack a HUGE bag full of everything that makes up a taco salad and take it to work for lunch I decided to pop the extra meat in a Ziplock bag and stick it in the freezer for another day. Yesterday, after going grocery shopping and spending my $34 in Smith's Rewards I realized I needed to make something for dinner that night. I wanted to get away from buying pizza every Friday and I didn't want the kids eating cereal for dinner 2 nights in a row. So I looked through my pantry to see what I had (and what I was not going to use for dinner the following week) and I came across everything I needed for chili. So I get going with the cooking and when I open the freezer to get out the meat I came across my bag of frozen taco meat. Why not? It's already cooked, it's seasoned and it might make my chili taste a little better. Well it did
not make my chili taste a little better, it made it taste a whole heck of a lot better! It was so delicious! The flavors, the spices, the extra kick from the taco seasonings. Mmmmm. Trevor asked for seconds and then literally licked his bowl clean, Colin even ate FOUR BITES. Yes, four! That is really saying something coming from that kid. So there you have it, my friends. The secret to super yummy chili is leftover taco meat.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

What a good idea! I will have to try it:-)

Erika said...

Can you teach me how to be organized amd awesome, like you? And, yes, I always read your blog so don't stop with your secret tricks.

Sia said...

So, I have the taco meat...what's the rest of the recipe! :) Oh, and I read your blog Kasey!!

Unknown said...

I read your blog! Just not every day! It's in my bookmarks. ;)

(from your cousin Megan in AK)