Friday, January 11, 2013

Stephanie's soup

This picture was taken by Stephanie and I hope she doesn't
mind that I borrowed it 
Yesterday my friend Stephanie made Zuppa Toscana soup for dinner. It looked good and the recipe looked pretty easy and I figured some day I would try making it for dinner. This morning I got my hair cut and on the way out to the car Logan commented on how cold it was outside. And it was cold. When we got home I kept my jacket on because I was still cold. I did some chores, made lunch for Logan and I was still cold. Finally, I decided I was going to make soup for dinner (I usually don't cook dinner on Fridays) and I decided to try Stephanie's soup. I had most of the ingredients, but I changed it just a little to go with what I had on hand. Here's the recipe along with reviews from the family:




Zuppa Toscana Soup (or Stephanie's Soup which it will be known as at my house)
1 lb Italian sausage
chopped onion (use however much you want - I can never bring myself to use an entire onion in recipes)
chopped garlic
about 3 potatoes peeled and diced
salt and pepper to taste
chicken broth (I used 2 cans)
1 cup heavy cream
some frozen chopped spinach - thawed
Parmesan cheese

Brown Italian sausage in a soup pot and then remove from pan. Place on a plate with paper towels to drain. Add a little olive oil to the pot if it's too dry. Saute the onions and garlic and then add the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook a few minutes then add the chicken broth or water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are cooked (about 20 minutes). When potatoes are cooked add the sausage, spinach and cream. I also added about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir and serve with bread sticks or hot rolls.

Reviews
Trevor: 3 3/4 out of 5 stars "Not as good as cheese soup, but pretty close."
Colin: 5 stars "Mmmm, I like the chicken (then we told him it was sausage). Mmmm, I like the sausage."
Logan: 2 thumbs up after we forced him to take 4 bites or else he was not getting a treat later
Dave: "So good. Even better with the bread dipped in it."
Kasey: I love it, a new favorite. Perfect on a cold day

1 comment:

GHFamily said...

Gotta try this! You are awesome for sharing.