Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have been chastised before for still making lunch for my boys every morning. For one thing, school starts at 8, so adding one more thing for them to do in the morning would make for one more thing to fight about (pick your battles, right?). And for another thing, I know if they made their own lunches their box would be filled with fruit snacks, chips, crackers, treats, candy, etc. and not be the least bit healthy. I pack their lunches to make sure they are eating healthy so their brains are properly fueled for the afternoon. Aren't I a good mom?
This morning, though, as I was packing Trevor's lunch, (it was breakfast for lunch today so Colin wanted a hot lunch - Trevor will never, ever get a hot lunch) I realized I had no treat to pack. He has to have a treat. My boys are all about their lunchbox treat. Colin will sometimes come home from school and tell me he had a fabulous day because of the treat I packed. The only thing I had to give to Trevor was a granola bar, so after they left for school I made cookies so they'd have something yummy for tomorrow. These cookies are my sister's recipe. She brought them to many of our swim parties last summer and I love them. My kids love them. Colin, who does not like chocolate chips in his cookies loves them, chips and all. I also pretend they are HEALTHY cookies because of the peanut butter and oatmeal. Sometimes I'll even use wheat flour. It's all about sneaking in some healthy things for your kids (and husband). So here is the recipe. Try them, you'll love them.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter (real butter makes for way better cookies. It took me many years to discover that)
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use smooth but you can use crunchy if you want)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
 1 cup flour
1/2 cup Quick Cooking Oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips (or more if you want - I like the mini chips for these cookies)

Cream together sugars, butter and peanut butter. Add egg and vanilla and beat. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until mixed well. Use a cookie scoop or roll into balls. bake at 325 (yes, 325, that is not a typo) for 10 -12 minutes. 

No comments: