Saturday, April 27, 2013

Book Review - The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

The Rent Collector is the story of a young mother, Sang Ly, struggling to survive by picking through garbage in Cambodia's largest municipal dump. Under the threat of eviction by an embittered old drunk who is charged with collecting rents from the poor of Stung Meanchey, Sang Ly embarks on a desperate journey to save her ailing son from a life of ignorance and poverty. It's a tale of discovery and redemption in which she learns that literature, like hope, is found in the most unexpected places. (from http://www.therentcollectorbook.com/about.htm)

I have been wanting to read this book for a long time. I saw the cover and was immediately curious about what was hidden in the pages of this book. I requested the book from the library (did you know you could do that?) and waited and waited until finally it was my turn to read. I loved this book. Even though it's fiction, it's based on real people and real places. The story is beautifully written and there are so many little stories within the novel that keep you wanting to read to find out all of the answers. I loved the characters and their stories, their struggles, the way they made a home -  a community - in the middle of a dump. This story has such a positive, uplifting message. Anyone who loves books, who has ever had a sick child, who has struggled or had to hold on to hope this would be the perfect read.

LIBRARY BOOK REQUESTS - For those of you who live in Las Vegas, did you know you can access the city's library catalog from your computer and request books? You can! All you have to do is go to any library and ask the librarian you set you up with an account. Then, using your library card number you can look up books online, request them to be sent to your home library and you will get an e-mail when the books are ready to be picked up. You can also renew books online! Click here to access the library's website.

1 comment:

Kel said...

Cool! I'm totally going to read this! I actually just finished requesting a bunch of books from my library on my home computer. I love the ease of doing that!