Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday Food Storage Meal - Spaghetti and Meatballs

One thing I like to do for my food storage is cook things and freeze them to use later. I always have something in the freezer I can pull out and use in a pinch. One thing my boys love are meatballs. Spaghetti is one those things you always have in your pantry but if I don't have meatballs it's just not the same. So when I make meatballs I will always freeze half of them to use another time. You can use meatballs in spaghetti or another pasta dish, use them for meatball subs, make them mini to use in soup, or use them in a sweet n' sour or BBQ sauce. It's always nice to know there is something in the freezer that is already cooked and homemade. Here is my meatball recipe. It makes about 20 regular sized meatballs.
1 pound ground beef (or turkey)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (I use the seasoned kind)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I don't always have this so sometimes I don't use it)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 small onion chopped (I use 2 tablespoons dehydrated onions)
1 large egg
(I also sometimes add a little grated Parm cheese, garlic powder, or chopped garlic if I have it)
Heat oven to 400. Mix all ingredients together. Shape into meatballs - large, mini, regular.... whatever you want. Place in an ungreased baking pan or on a rack in a broiler pan. Bake uncovered for 20 - 25 minutes or until centers are no longer pink. Cook smaller meatballs 5-10 minutes less.

No comments: