Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pinterest Post - Oil Cleansing Method

As a teenager, I was always told by doctors and dermatologist that I needed to avoid products with oil in them. So for years I checked the labels on face wash, moisturizers, night cream, sunscreen and made sure they were all 100% oil free. Imagine my surprise when I found a Pinterest post on how to wash your face with oil. It seemed crazy to me, but I read the post and then did some research on my own. I researched the Oil Cleansing Method and learned that when our skin is stripped of oil, it produces more oil in order to make up for what was lost. I also learned that Castor Oil is a great cleaner and that it helps to pull out all the junk from your pores. I learned that Olive Oil and Sunflower Oil and lots of other oils are great at moisturizing your skin and they don't clog pores. The more I read the more I wanted to try it myself. I went to Walgreens and got some Castor Oil and a little plastic bottle to mix up my own face wash. I had Olive Oil already at home so I did about a 50/50 mixture of the two oils in the bottle. From what I have read, if you have normal skin you want a 50/50 mixture. If your skin is oily, try a little more Castor Oil, and if it tends to be dry, try more Olive Oil. You just play around with it until you find what works for you. To wash your face, pour about a quarter size amount of the oil mixture in the palm of your hand and massage onto your face, make up and all. Massage for a few minutes. I read different things about how long to leave the oil on you face. Some things said you can leave it on for 10 minutes if your skin is really clogged, other posts said to leave it on just a minute or two. Next, take a clean wash cloth and get it wet with hot tap water. Not too hot to burn your skin, but hot enough to steam it. Wring the cloth out and then place over your skin until it cools. This will steam your face and open up the pores. Some posts said to rinse the wash cloth and steam your face 2-3 more times and then gently wipe the oil away. Other posts said to just steam once and then wipe the oil. I guess it all depends on what you want to do and how much time you've got. I have been washing my face like this for the past 4 days and so far I've been very happy with the results. The first night my skin felt a little dry so I added a little more Olive Oil to my bottle. My skin feels really soft after I wash it and I don't need to use night cream anymore. In the morning my skin still feels great and it not oily at all. Usually, half way through the day my skin is pretty shiny with oil, but since I've been washing it with the oil I've noticed less shine. I have read that it takes some time for your skin to adjust to this method, so I will re-post in a few weeks to see if I am still doing it and how it's working. So far, though, I am pretty pleased with the results. I read this is also really good for people with sensitive skin or skin conditions like eczema so I might even try it on Colin's hands and feet where his eczema is really bad. I have never had great skin, but not for lack of washing and trying to take care of it. The first night I tried this I had a nightmare of waking up with my face totally broken out, but it seems to be going well. If you want more information on this method, just google Oil Cleansing Method or look it up on Pintertest, and  let me know if you try it.

No comments: