Friday, March 11, 2011

The Suit


Today is Trevor's 8th birthday.
I wanted him to have a suit when he got baptized and my mom offered to buy it. On Saturday we went to a clothing store so Trevor could try some on. He was not too excited. The comments we heard that shopping trip: "This is so boring", "I don't want Grandma to see me naked", "Are your eyes closed?", "Can we go now?", "Are we done yet?" And we didn't even come home with a suit. Nothing really fit him right since he is so skinny. Then my smart mother offered to go to a store and buy several suits in different sizes and then Trevor could just try them on at home. And we found one that fit perfectly. It's not too big and he can grow into it. I am also glad to have 2 other boys below Trevor. This will be a good suit to hand down. When I was done with Trevor last night after having him try on the different pants and jackets I sent him away to play. I put the suit back on the hanger and as I did my eyes started to tear up. I wasn't sure why. It was just a suit. But then I realized that it's the first suit. The next special one will be when he turns 12 and gets the priesthood. Then he'll get another one when he turns 19 and becomes a missionary. Dave and I have been married 10 years this June and it's gone by so fast. In another 10 years Trevor will be 18 and graduating from high school and getting ready to leave for 2 years to serve a mission. I think those years are going to go by fast, too. He was my first baby and now he's turning into a young man. He's not so little anymore. He said something the other day about how soon he'll be as tall as me. How is that possible? It must be so strange to wake up one day and stand face to face with your child. And then to notice that you look up to him, instead of him looking up to you. And here I go crying again. I just don't know how he got so big so fast.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I am going through the same thing! Cadence is turning 8 in June, and we are going shopping for her baptism dress next month.
It makes me cry every time I think about it! And like you, I will just pass the dress down to my other 3 girls!
Yes, how DID they get so big SO fast??

Can't wait for our GNO tomorrow night!!!

Jess said...

Oh man, you are making me tear up. It is crazy how fast the time goes. That is a good looking suit and Trevor will look so handsome in it.