Thursday, February 7, 2013

Homemade Citrus Cleaner

My little cuties are in love with these cuties. I buy a bag every week at the grocery store and they are gobbled up. But I kept wishing I could do something  with all the lovely peels because they smell so good and I know that orange peel is full of good oils and other stuff. Then, one day while I was on Pinterest I came across this LINK for homemade cleaner using vinegar and citrus peels. I decided to try it and see if I liked it. Every time we peeled a little cutie I put the peels into a small mason jar. When I had the jar almost filled with peels (only 2 oranges worth) I filled it with White Vinegar, put the lid on and let it sit for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, I strained the liquid into a measuring cup. The liquid came out almost like a syrup. My liquid measured 1/3 cup so I poured it into an old cleaner bottle, added 2/3 cup water and got cleaning. I love the way this stuff smells! There is a little bit of a vinegar smell, but it disappears after a while and leaves behind a light citrus scent. It was super easy to make and because the vinegar/citrus liquid is concentrated it makes a lot for just a little bit of money. There are lots of different recipes for these cleaners, but so far I have kept it simple and just used the orange. It's great for an all purpose cleaner (but DO NOT use on granite or marble) and I love the way it make my kitchen and bathroom smell clean and fresh. It takes away the cooking smells and the pee from the bathroom (yes, with three little boys my bathrooms always smell like pee). It can even be used on wood floors! I use it to clean my wood table top. The link I provided has some great recipes to try for different scents and gives some great tips on how to make and store the cleaner. It also has cute printable labels for your cleaner. It would make a cute bridal shower or housewarming gift. I think I will never have to buy all-purpose cleaner again.

2 comments:

GHFamily said...

Love it! THX

Pamela said...

Wow! This is a great idea! I've just grinded them up in our garbage disposal so that it doesn't stink. I'm going to try this.