Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Never say never

I have said in the past that I could never, in a million years, homschool my kids. It just seemed silly to have my kids home doing school when they could be at school doing school. But things happen and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. This past weekend we made the decision, as a family, to take Trevor out of school for the rest of the year and try homeschool. I really do love the school my kids go to and I love their teachers, but right now Trevor needs to be home. This has been a very challenging year for Trevor and I know that if he's home and able to work one on one with me that he will get stronger in the subjects he's been having a hard time with. Our goal is to work with him for the next few months and over to summer so that we can re-enroll him for 5th grade. I've felt for a long time I needed to do this and I wish I would have listened to that still small voice months ago. But I'm doing it now and I am really excited for what is to come. I've had lots of great advice from friends on what to do and I have really enjoyed these last few days setting up his room, making lesson plans, figuring out a school schedule, etc. I know it won't be easy and I know there will be days when neither one of us want to do it, but I know we need to just take it one day at a time and not worry so much about what's going to happen tomorrow.

I rearranged Trevor's room so he could have a "classroom" in his bedroom. I got a white board so we can work on math and spelling together and a bulletin board with a calendar, classroom rules and an award system for staying on task and getting his work done.


 Trevor's desk with everything he needs to start school on Monday! Maps for social studies (he's learning Nevada history this year), file folders to keep his assignments organized; jars filled with pencils, pens, crayons, highlighters, colored pencils; new notebooks


2 comments:

Jess said...

It looks like a great learning environment! You are a great mom and a great teacher for Trevor! I know you are ready for this and have some great expectations and ideas for helping him. Keep us posted on how things are going.

Pamela said...

A really great set-up! Now, where's the teacher's desk/station? Where are you keeping your stuff?