Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My new favorite thing

Last summer I had a swim party for my friends and our kids. I needed to make a main dish that was cheap and would feed a bunch of people. A few weeks before the party there was a recipe on the Pioneer Woman's blog that was perfect: BBQ chicken thighs. I had never cooked thighs before so I was excited to try something new. I could make the dish in the crockpot which made it more appealing, and then I went to the store and saw how cheap chicken thighs were. They became my new favorite thing. A year ago I got chicken thighs just when I wanted to make the BBQ chicken, but then I started to substitute chicken thighs for breasts in some of my recipes.  Now I buy them all of the time and I can't remember the last time I had chicken breasts in my fridge or freezer. Boneless, skinless and cheap as can be. Every few weeks I can get them for 99 cents a pound and they come in a HUGE package which makes for many meals for my small family. I like to cook a bunch in the crockpot and then shred it. I put 2 cup portions of the shredded chicken into freezer bags (counts as food storage!) and use it when I want to make chicken tacos or enchiladas or a favorite of ours Chicken in a Biscuit. One of my favorite dinners (and Dave's and Trevor's) is Cranberry Chicken and it's so much better when I make it in the crockpot with the thighs. Tonight's dinner is Chicken Broccoli casserole made with chicken thighs and tomorrow I am going to make this: Pioneer Woman's Penne With Chicken Thighs. I've been wanting to try it for a while and I am hoping Colin will like it. He likes anything with spaghetti sauce but I'm getting tired of spaghetti and meatballs. I need to change it up a little. Here's my Cranberry Chicken recipe (try it, you'll like it):
1 can Whole Berry Cranberry sauce
1/2 cup Catalina Dressing
1 packet Onion Soup mix
4-6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Place chicken thighs in the crockpot and sprinkle salt and pepper to season
Mix cranberry sauce, dressing and soup mix in a small bowl until combined. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. The chicken should fall apart easily after cooking.
Serve chicken and sauce over hot cooked rice.

No comments: